Portuguese Grilled Steak and Swiss Sandwich With Green Chile Figgy Slaw
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bacon on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush with agave nectar syrup, turn and brush the top of the bacon with more syrup. Bake for about 15 minutes longer, or until crisp.
- Prepare slaw. In a small bowl, combine the fig jam, mayonnaise and green chilies. Add cabbage and celery seed; stir to blend well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In another small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle and rub spice mixture over both sides of steak.
- Cut across the Portuguese roll.
- Grill steak and onion slices, turning once, until desired doneness is reached, about 5 minutes on each side. Place roll, cut-side-down on grill. Let roll stay on the grill until desired doneness is reached, about 2 minutes. Place cheese slice on top of steak during the last minute of cooking time to melt.
- To assemble the sandwich, place bacon slices across the roll bottom. Top bacon with onion slices, followed by the cheese-topped steak. Spoon on a generous amount of slaw. Cover with roll top. Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!
Back to Top