- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Tie each piece of veal around the perimeter so that the meat does not separate from the bone during cooking. Lightly dust the veal with flour.
- Heat a dutch oven, or other oven proof braising pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and butter to the pan, brown the veal on all sides and then remove from pan and reserve in a warm place
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and marjoram to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add wine, deglaze the pan, and reduce by half. Add tomatoes and stock; simmer 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return browned veal shanks to the mixture, add lemon peel, cover the pan, and braise in the oven for about an hour or until tender.
- When the meat is cooked, remove from the pan, puree the sauce in the pan, taste, adjust seasoning, and return meat to the sauce.
- For the gremolata, combine the parsley, lemon zest, and garlic.
- To serve, make sure the shank is well coated in sauce, remove the string, and sprinkle with gremolata.