Kansas City Steak Taco
- 1. Steak Instructions: In a bowl, mix together ingredients for marinade. Place steak and onions in a gallon size Ziplock bag and pour marinade over, sealing and turning several times to coat well. Let sit at room temp for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally. (Or marinate for up to 3 hours in fridge, bringing to room temp before grilling.) Preheat grill and grill meat. Grill steak on med high heat to desired doneness. A little char is good. Let rest 10 minutes, then thinly slice the meat across the grain.
- 2. Chimichurri Instructions: In a food processor, place jalapeno, garlic, onion, and pulse several times until chopped. Add cilantro (stems are fine) and Italian parsley (again, thin stems are fine), pulse again. Add oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, and salt. Pulse until combined. Set aside in small serving bowl.
- 3. Tequila De Gallo: Finely diced tomato, onions, chili, cilantro, garlic. Season with salt, pepper and lime. Add a little olive oil if desired. (As an option, add diced avocado and a couple splashes of hot sauce. Place all in a bowl, mix and let sit for 15 min to 1 hour (makes 2 Cups)
- 4. Quick Pickles: In a small sauce pan, combine water, vinegar, sugar, salt and peppercorns or coriander seeds. Add your choice of sliced radishes, slivered onions, thin sliced carrots. Bring to a boil. Remove and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes (or refrigerate until cold). Remove and place in a serving bowl or jar. Top with a little fresh cilantro.
- 5. Tortillas - So not to break tradition we prefer Corn Tortillas. lightly grill, until soft and pliable (or grill directly on a gas burner. Flipping and turning for 10 seconds) wrap up in a warm moist towel, to prevent drying. For the ultimate in flavor melt 1/4 Cup of Tallow and brush tortillas on both sides before grilling. (Tallow is basically beef fat, but in steak terms, "Beef Gold")
- 6. Serve everything together, in this order: tortilla, steak, chimichurri, pico along with garnishes chopped/crumbled Cotija Cheese and seared corn. Pickles on the side.
Back to Top